Friday, April 17, 2009

Menopause and Infertility

Last night, DH & I went to see Menopause, the Musical. I was hysterically laughing . . . along with all the menopausal women in the audience. I think, however, I realized I was laughing for a very different reason than the rest of these women. You see, I realized tonight that infertility is excellent practice for menopause!

We IF sisters have dealt with hot flashes, and understand the concept. We know what it is like to be pumped full of hormones and have your body doing all kinds of stuff. We know what hormonally crazy feels like. We know about hormonal irritation, and the lack of desire to have sex that all the hormones can create (and the flipside . . . the hormonal hornies, too).

In a way, it made me hopeful - if I could survive infertility, menopause should be a piece of cake! To all my IF sisters out there . . . just think how much we'll be smiling and laughing at our friends when we all hit menopause, and they don't know how to handle a hotflash, or they go off the deep end over the hormonal crazies. By then, we'll be experienced, and it will be a walk in the park for us.

No comments: