Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blossoming Weekend

After the seders last week, we were expecting some family time on Friday. DH's parents, brother, SIL, and their two children joined us Friday for breakfast. I made matzah brie, which is basically french toast made with matzah. You soak the matzah to soften it, mix some eggs through, then fry it up. You can serve it "savory" (with salt and/or cheese) or go the sweet route (cinnamon, sugar, syrup, chocolate . . . whatever floats your boat). I made a big giant vat of matzah brie, we put all the different toppings on the table, and we had a lovely breakfast. We were expecting DH's other brother, SIL and their son to join us on Friday. They called to say they would be here in an hour, so we waited. And waited. And waited. 1 1/2 hours later, they called to say they wouldn't be joining us. We still don't understand exactly what happened.

Once we got the green light, we stopped waiting, and took off to tour the area. It is a beautiful time of year here, with all the trees in bloom, so off to one of the oldest/prettiest neighborhoods we went to wander around and enjoy nature.

We then decided to take DH's mother shopping for a new pair of shoes, so off to a discount shoe store we went. We all managed to buy a few pairs of shoes. When we came back, we enjoyed a late lunch of egg salad and matzah pizza while we waited. We relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon, and around 6, my friend from college arrived to join us! (Long story short . . . I didn't realize my in-laws planned to stay through until Saturday, so I invited a college friend down to visit). We had a lovely dinner together - just leftovers from the previous night.

Saturday morning, my in-laws returned for lunch before their drive back home. I made tuna salad, we cooked up a few more matzah pizzas, and a "secret" family recipe that we call matzkes (it is basically a special sweet cheese mixture that you spread on the matzah and bake). My family matzkes were a hit! The family departed for home, and my friend and I decided to go back to the same old neighborhood I had taken my family to see the day before. We spent a quiet evening at home, and DH made fish and veggies for dinner (not that I ate the fish - I'm a vegetarian). Sunday, my friend and I decided to adventure a bit - we took the train downtown, checked out the blossoming trees, and then went to a museum. We had a wonderful day, and Micah enjoyed his first trip downtown and first museum visit. We returned home around 5, and my friend decided to head back home.

All in all, a wonderful weekend!

No comments: