Thursday, April 23, 2009

This post is for you, Mom!

My mom called to remind me that she needs her daily blog fix. In an effort to be a good daughter, I rapidly finished up this post I've been working on all week. So, here it is . . . I hope you find it worth the wait!

Another crazy week . . . Micah has been struggling with a stuffy nose all week, and I've been running around like a mad woman and trying to get some work done. As you already know, we started off the week with our 4 month checkup (see my last post).

On Wednesday, we went to our playgroup. Micah thoroughly enjoyed himself - he talked up a storm, smiled at everyone, played with his friend's Hop 'N Pop (a travel activity center), and just had a wonderful time. The pictures don't lie!

I can't believe how big he is getting - and so grown up! He is playing like a "big" boy now. He was spinning the dials, and pushing all the buttons, and having so much fun. We got home in the afternoon, and I got some work done while Micah napped. I had a board meeting that night, so DH was on Daddy duty for bedtime.

On Thursday, I got up early to head to a conference. The plan was to have Micah join me. Needless to say, nothing went as planned. Micah woke up super early (around 5 am) and was HUNGRY. I actually thought that would give us great timing - usually, when he wakes up early, he goes back to sleep for 3 (sometimes 4) hours, which would allow us to get out the door around 9:30 or so. Apparently, Micah had other plans. He would NOT wake up until 10:45. He was sound asleep, and he would not be woken up. I had a work emergency, so I was dealing with that. When Micah finally got up, he was grumpy. I fed him, and finally got him dressed and ready to go . . . and he decided to have a poop explosion (a SUB as we call them). I changed him again, and we headed out the door.

I made it all the way to the convention hall in downtown . . . just in time for the lunch rush. We couldn't find any open garages, and right at that moment, Micah got fussy - he was ready to eat again. Realizing that by the time I found a spot, and fed Micah, and got over to the conference it would be practically over, I threw in the towel on the conference. Instead, I headed a few minutes further north and decided to meet up with my SIL and the girls. We met at Panera for lunch . . . and I promptly discovered I did not have my regular diaper bag with my hooter hider. I had the emergency diaper bag, so I tried to nurse Micah using a receiving blanket as a shield. Micah was more in the mood to play with the blanket and smile at me, but every time I tried to stop nursing him he shrieked. It was a fun experience. Lunch was . . . chaotic . . . to say the least. I was dealing with nursing challenges, and SIL had accidentally forgotten my younger niece's shoes. We spent the whole meal trying to keep her from walking on the ground. With all the craziness, I think we ended up staying at Panera for only 10 or 15 minutes - we couldn't wait to get out of there and try to regain control of the situation.

After lunch, we headed back to their house. The girls were great with Micah. He laughed, he played with them, and we had a pleasant afternoon. His cousins even gave him a few toys to bring home - with lots of lights, buttons and music! He has been having so much fun playing with all of these toys.

My nieces were adorable (as always). Unfortunately, they tend to fight a lot. The older one takes everything away from her younger sister and tries to push her around. On this particular occasion, the younger one wanted to eat some goldfish they were supposed to be "sharing." The older one is very good at "sharing" - as long as she doesn't have to share with her younger sister. She will share with me, with Micah . . . with pretty much anyone else, but not her sister. I didn't exactly see the whole exchange, but the older one took the goldfish, and somehow the younger one ended up biting the older one's finger . . . hard. She meant business . . . the little one dug in and was ferocious and shaking her head with fury while she bit down. She intended to teach the older one a lesson, and was standing up for herself - the poor thing was tired of being pushed around! Tough situation for SIL - the younger one needs to learn not to bite, but she was also trying to stick up for herself because the older one was being a bully. I thought SIL handled the disciplining/comforting very well - I was impressed!

Then, the younger one decided she wanted to pee on the potty. We took off her pants and diaper, and she sat on the little potty. The older one then decided she wanted the potty and tried to shove the little one off. We eventually convinced her to use the real toilet, but not before the two girls had a shoving match on the mini potty. Somewhere along the way, the little one decided to pee on the floor. I think the fact that she is showing interest in the potty is pretty exciting as she is only 18 months old! We headed back upstairs, and it became apparent that the girls were tired. When they went down for their nap, we headed home.

I made it home just in time to meet with another contractor. We are considering putting an addition on the house (crazy, right, since we just renovated the inside). That went well, but Micah had a SUB while the contractor was here, and we had to bathe him and put him to bed while trying to talk costs, look at options, and discuss business. It was a bit chaotic!

My frustration of the week has been that Micah has been waking up hungry early in the morning lately. This morning, he got up at 4:30 again (2nd time this week, and we had one night that he woke up at midnight to eat), so I brought him into bed and fed him. He fell back to sleep right after eating, and he woke up again at 8:30. We got up and dressed, and we decided to try out an exercise class called Stroller Strides. We met our friend there with HER son Micah, and we had a good time. It was a good class - I'm pretty sore! After exercise class, Micah went back to daycare for a few hours - his second "trial" run. I think this visit went better - they did not over-feed him, and he did take a bit of a nap. Unfortunately, we did have another meltdown at bedtime, so perhaps they are connected. I wish I knew what to do! In the meantime, I gave him a bottle of pumped breastmilk, and he guzzled it down before he passed out.

This weekend, we are thinking of trying rice cereal for the first time (since breastmilk alone doesn't seem to be quite enough for Micah these days) . . . it should be interesting (and I promise, there WILL be video). My question is - will he end up with more cereal in his mouth or his hair? I'm a bit scared. I keep seeing him stick his hands in the cereal and putting them straight in that luscious hair of his. I then imagine the cereal getting all hard and sort of . . . shellacking to his hair. We may end up needing to give him a buzz cut before the weekend is over. My mom suggested a shower cap - we may need to experiment!

No comments: