Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

For the past several years, Mother's Day has been bittersweet . . . it was a wonderful celebration of my mother, but it was tinged with sadness as I wondered if I, too, would ever get to be a mother. It was fun to celebrate the day, but at the same time, I would often bite back tears of grief and loss, as I was a "Mommy-in-Waiting."

Last year, we had just learned I was pregnant and had seen Micah's heart beating for the first time on the ultrasound only days before. Mother's Day was so emotional for me . . . I was so excited that I was a "Mommy-to-Be" on Mother's Day, and that this year I would finally be a mommy on Mother's Day. I also had moments of fear . . . I was only 7 weeks pregnant, and worried that something could still go wrong. But mostly, I was brimming with hope, and a sense that Mother's Day was truly a holiday for ME.

This year, all I can say is that I am so grateful to be a mommy, and so happy that Micah came into our lives. I was greeted this morning with a beautiful smile from my son, and several wonderful gifts from my family. DH bought me a brand new bike so we can go on some family bike rides together, my sisters-in-law bought me a gift certificate for a massage, and we are headed over to my parents' house for a wonderful day together. What more could I want today?

I wanted to wish a wonderful Mother's Day to all the Mommies, Mommies-to-Be and Mommies-in-Waiting out there!

No comments: