Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

I usually do not urge people to make donations, but today I am going to make an exception. For the 5th year, I am walking on Saturday in the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure, in honor of my friend Eric’s sister, Melissa, who died 5 years ago of breast cancer at age 32. Each year, in addition to soliciting donations by email, Eric's wife Niki and I bake cookies to put out at her office. Those donations have helped us contribute hundreds of dollars to the cause. In fact, last year I was at Niki's house baking cookies the day I discovered I was pregnant with Micah.

More than 50,000 people will all gather on June 6 to take a stand in the global movement to end breast cancer. Each year, up to 75% the money raised funds local screening, treatment and education programs for the medically underserved. The remaining dollars support the Global Promise Fund, a program of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, which is dedicated to reaching underserved people in areas where breast cancer mortality rates are the highest.

Over the past five years, our team has raised over $20,000 towards fighting breast cancer. I need your help to continue our goal of raising another $6,000 this year. You can give online by clicking on this link or going to the Susan G. Komen website at http://www.globalraceforthecure.org and making a donation. Without a cure, an estimated 25 million women around the world will be diagnosed with breast cancer - and 10 million could die over the next 25 years. That's why I'm joining the fight. I hope that you'll support me.

No comments: