Thursday, August 27, 2009

I don't know why he swallowed the spoon

Do you remember that children's song "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly, I don't know why she swallowed the fly. Perhaps she'll die." Looking back at the lyrics (and so many lyrics to children's songs), it is rather inappropriate for young children. Nevertheless, I could not get the song out of my head at dinner on Tuesday night.

We took my parents out for a dinner at one of our favorite Middle Eastern restaurants. The restaurant serves only "Mezze" portions (small tasting/appetizer sized portions) and they had a 5 course special. We each ordered a different option on the menu for each course, and we had 20 dishes to share between the four of us! The food was delicious.

During the meal, I fed Micah his dinner. When he was all finished, I let him have the spoon - I figured it would keep him busy and entertained. What I did not expect was to spend the remainder of the night trying to confiscate the spoon back from him. Every time he had the spoon, he shoved it all the way back into his throat and tried to swallow it! Needless to say, it kept making him choke - not that he stopped doing it over and over again or allowed me to take it away from him.

The low point of the meal was picking my car up from the valet - who parked my car on the street and got a ticket (and we payed $11 for that privilege)! He handed me the ticket and told me it was my problem. Needless to say, we contacted the owner of the restaurant, who offered us a free meal at any of his restaurants (he has 6 in this area) and to pay for the ticket. We are appealing the ticket, but we may take him up on the offer to pay.

Micah is officially a crawling MACHINE these days. Army style, on all fours - it really doesn't matter much to him. He pushes back to a sit, he chases the dog, he follows me around the house - he is just adorable. He gets into everything now, and he is constantly wanting to stand (and he keeps trying to walk, which worries me). We are working on childproofing the house, but we still have a way to go.

2 comments:

Raising Twin Girls said...

I was totally thinking the same thing about children songs. I keep trying to sing the one "rock a bye baby in the tree tops" and the lyric about the cradle will fall makes we wonder why would every sing that to our kids???

I bet it is a whole new world with Micah on the move. I am excited to see my girls grow and move around, but I dread them getting into things and baby proofing our house. Good luck.

MoonNStarMommy said...

I think it's hilarious when they belly crawl!! My youngest would lay on his belly and bounce his arms and legs like he was TRYING to make them FLY ... I actually have a video of it ... LOL... (it's on my blog too) ..

Anyway - I totally know what you mean with the songs! I sing the fly song all the time and change the "perhaps she'll die" line to crazy different things for fun. "perhaps she should eat a bunch of pudding to drown the fly" ... "perhaps she'll fly away" ... LOL..

Happy ICLW