Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Houston . . . we have weight gain!

Today was our weight check . . . and Micah gained weight! He weighed in at 5 lbs 11 ozs - getting close to his birth weight. It looks like the breast feeding is finally going well. We also have tons of poop . . . I swear, that child has a diaper explosion with EVERY eating session. He also likes to wait for the diaper to come off, and THEN have an explosion. Sometimes he is considerate - he waits until we put a clean diaper on him, and then he has an explosion. I think we must have 8-10 dirty diapers a day!

We're still using the preemie diapers (and preemie clothing) - the newborn size is just still too big for him. We had him in a newborn diaper the other night - it slid off his tush and he ended up with a mess in the swaddle. We won't be trying that again until he is a little bigger.

We do seem to have a better system in place now. I'm actually getting a few hours sleep at a time at night. DH wakes the baby up, hands him to me, then goes back to sleep. I spend the next hour nursing, and then DH gets back up to change his diaper and dress him again. Lately, Micah has been wanting to nurse AGAIN for another 15-20 minutes after he is swaddled, so we nurse again until he falls alseep and I put him back in the bassinet. This way, both DH and I can get about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs sleep at a time.

No comments: