Monday, November 22, 2010

Scattered

Scattered...my thoughts are scattered, my house is scattered, and I have a feeling this blog post will be a bit scattered. It is 12:30 am, and Maya is once again awake and screaming. We thought we had it figured out...we got her a mobile and she spent the past few hours in her crib calm. She really just resists every approach to good sleeping habits that we've tried. The thing is, she does sleep well...she just doesn't want to sleep alone, and she does not want to go to sleep early. I hope we don't have to worry about what that portends for her teenage years.

Mom had a decent night last night - she woke up once overnight, and then again at 7. I hope that as she becomes more comfortable she is able to sleep through the night again - it would certainly be easier on all of us! At the hospital, she was sleeping 12 hours a night, but lately she seems to wake up every 3 hours or so.

Today was a better day with the caretaker...Anna was here, and she did a fine job. She showed up 30 minutes early, and she had lots of down time today (including a 2 hour nap), but she did do my mother's laundry today. If we need to use the service again, she would be fine. Mom was quite sleepy again this morning, and she has had a headache on and off all day. I got out for some quiet time with Micah at swim class while Dad babysat Maya and DH volunteered cooking 1100 meals for the homeless. I wasn't able to join him this year...it was just too difficult with everything going on in our lives right now.

When I got back from swim class, I made lunch for Micah and Mom. After lunch, Micah took a nap and we had a parade of visitors all afternoon. It was a fun day for my mother. Once again, we had plenty to eat for dinner, thanks to our visitors. One of Mom's co-workers brought over a delicious Peruvian dish made with potatoes and beets that we ate for our appetizer, and another friend made more vegetable soup that we ate for our main course.

Our plan tomorrow is to go to the hospital for Mom's platelet transfusion. We did finally get the results of her bloodwork from yesterday - her platelets had dropped all the way down to 18,000 but her white blood cell count was up a bit. She was running a fever again today, so I'm concerned that her antibiotics may not be working. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Mom has been having a rough night. She was exhausted and went back to her room for bed around 7:15. She has yet to fall asleep at 12:45. She has been tossing and turning and coughing all night. She has been anxious and worked up about some things, and she is also worried about her appointments this week. Tonight, she wanted to do a few more video messages, so it was a tough night for me, too, as I sat there crying while filming her. I just hate to think about all of this, but I know how important these videos will be for us one day. I hope that Mom is able to sleep tonight, and I hope that she starts feeling better.

No comments: