Monday, December 21, 2009

The Blizzard and Morning Sickness

On December 18, two major storms hit me simultaneously - the Blizzard of 2009 and morning sickness. I have to say, it has been a crazy week. After Micah's birthday party tanked, he stayed sick all week. We did a little celebration at home in honor of his birthday, but then I actually left for Kansas for work from December 15-16. I flew home late on the 16th, not feeling so hot. I thought it was just my susceptibility to motion sickness while pregnant - the flight back did not make me feel too well. We woke up early on the 17th to make our doctor's appointment to have Micah's skull examined, and then had an insanely crazy day. I threw up on and off all day, and knew I was in for another round of morning sickness. I had a really rough night on Thursday (and Micah was not sleeping great all week because his cough kept waking him up), and I woke up early on Friday feeling sick.

That should have been my clue I was in for trouble. We were preparing for the blizzard and trying to get a whole bunch of things done. I started throwing up early that morning, and couldn't keep anything down. I tried eating, I tried not eating. I tried drinking water, I tried sleeping. Every couple of hours, I was throwing up again. They were having a potluck party at Micah's daycare at 5:00 pm, and I had to make something for the event. Luckily, we had a ton of leftover cupcakes from the birthday party that wasn't, so I was able to quickly ice those and bring them with us. I took a phenergan in the afternoon, hoping it would help with the nausea.

At Micah's daycare, I just felt worse and worse. I had to excuse myself to go throw up, and then I just did not think I would be able to function any more. We finally went home, and it just got worse. I threw up a few more times, and I knew I had nothing left in my system. I tried lying down while DH took Micah out to services, but that didn't help either. I threw up a few more times before they made it home. DH went upstairs to put Micah to bed, and he disappeared for a few more hours. I was very unhappy with him - I was just miserable as I was throwing up nonstop for the next few hours. He finally made it downstairs (my mom called and he brought me the phone), and he decided to run out before the weather was awful and pick up my phenergan. He disappeared for far too long, and I was a mess. When he finally came back, I took another pill...and promptly threw it up. We called the midwives, and they said that they'd normally tell me to go to the hospital, but the roads were already too dangerous to drive.

They directed me to take 2 phenergan rectally. Oh yes, I said rectally. THAT was not pleasant. Those darn pills burned, and even worse, after about 30 minutes, it caused a new problem - horrible diarrhea. I'm not sure which was worse, especially since it didn't stop the puking either. I had to do ANOTHER double dose rectally, and finally around 1:00 in the morning I stopped throwing up. I was able to take my next dose of medicine orally (thankfully) and keep that down. I tried drinking water around 4:00 am, but threw that up. Saturday, the snow was going strong all day, so I just pretty much lay low, took my pills, and couldn't eat or drink anything. On Sunday, we called the midwives again, and they called in a prescription for Zofran. Sunday was actually a miserable day for me. DH went down to volunteer at the soup kitchen where we normally cook and serve hot meals the Sunday before Christmas, but I was too sick to go and we had no babysitter for Micah because of the weather. DH went anyway, and left me home, by myself, to take care of an infant while I was throwing up. It was an AWFUL day. At least he picked up the prescription for Zofran on the way home, but he was gone from 11-6. I was not a happy camper. Finally, a few hours after I took the 2 Zofran, I started feeling some better. By 10:00 pm, I was able to drink water!! I quickly graduated to vegetable broth, and for breakfast on Monday morning, I got quite bold and ate rice. I managed to keep most everything down, but it has been miserable. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Despite my complete misery, we did manage to take Micah out for some fun in the snow. I took him out by myself on Sunday (for about 10 minutes). Poor little guy - I think it took us 30 minutes to get ready, and he really didn't feel like staying and playing too long! Here are our snow pictures:

Snow videos:

1 comment:

Dr. Heather said...

I'm so sorry the morning sickness is so bad! The snow pictures are great.