Monday, July 13, 2009

Back to Reality

Sorry I've been so quiet lately - with the trip and catching up on work, it has been a crazy few weeks. We are back and settled in at home. Our trip back from Emerald Isle was not as easy as our trip down. First, Micah had fallen and bumped his head on our spa day, so our last night at the beach, we did not sleep well. I was worried about Micah, so I was continually going in and poking him all night to make sure he was okay. We both finally drifted off to sleep . . . until about 6:30 am. My father started loading up the car for them to leave, and Micah heard everything and woke up, so our day started a bit early. My parents left around 8:00 am, and Micah and I were exhausted and we crawled back into bed with DH and we all napped together for a few hours.

By the time we got up and going, it was late. We started to get ready to go to the beach, and on the way there, we learned my parents had stopped at a hospital because my father wasn't feeling well. We only stayed at the beach for an hour, and then we headed back to start packing up. It took us a long time to pack up the car, and we finally got out the door and tried putting Micah to sleep in the car. Unfortunately, Micah was not interested in going to sleep. He cried most of the first 1 1/2 hours home. We had to pull over several times to try and calm him, and I quickly realized that he stopped crying every time we stopped - not because he was hungry, but because he wanted to play. After that, we just worked on singing him to sleep. He finally went out, but he was quite restless the entire trip home. Along the way, we got word that my father had been released from the hospital and was feeling better. We also ran into some bad weather on the trip back, so the driving was a bit tense.

About 1 hour from home, we stopped to refuel. Unfortunately, Micah woke up when we closed the car doors, and he decided to scream the rest of the way home. When we finally made it back (at 2:00 am), he wanted to stay up and play while we unloaded the car. I eventually nursed him back to sleep, and he woke up again at 7:00 am. It was a long night, and he was pretty crabby all day Thursday, but he recovered quickly.

Thursday was our first music class! In between episodes of crabbiness, Micah had a really good time. He smiled at the singing, and he squealed with pleasure at being danced around, and he loved banging (and chewing) the instruments. The only problem was that Micah was in a "hold me mommy" mood, and any time I put him down (even for a second) he started to cry. After music class, Micah finally took a nice long nap, and seemed much better when he woke up.

This weekend, DH & I took Micah to the pool on Saturday during the day, and we went out to a concert on Saturday night. We spent most of Sunday being lazy and recuperating. Today is back to the daily grind.

2 comments:

Raising Twin Girls said...

I'm glad you are getting back to normal life. I always feel like I need a vacation after a vacation. I'm sure it is much worse when you travel with kids.

The music class sounds fun. Maybe Micah will participate more if you go again.

Glad to have you back and blogging.

Air Force Wifey said...

So glad you made it back. I'm with Amy. It always seems like you need a vacation after a vacation.