Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's all about furniture

I might just be in the early stages of nesting. I am not sure that I completely understand what nesting is, but if it is this overwhelming urge to get your house and life in order, then I'm nesting. This week, I've been making phone calls and appointments, making decisions, and generally trying to clean up both my surroundings and a whole lot of loose ends. Some days, I feel the need to quit my job so I can work on getting my life in order!

As you may know, we are in the process of renovating DH's house, and are hoping to move there in the next few weeks. At present, we have been crammed into my townhouse, and the mess and *stuff* has taken over. I had previously given up any effort at order or cleanliness, because we have been on the verge of moving for 3 months now.

This week, however, I hit my limit. I have been all over DH to clean up all the crap that has taken over our lives at my house, and I've been all over him to come with me and make decisions about furniture for his house. I think it dawned on me that it can easily take 8-12 weeks to get furniture once we order it, and with that time frame in mind, we're running out of time before the baby arrives. On Thursday night, we went up to the baby store to look at furniture. We have it narrowed down to 2 possible bedroom sets, but we just can't decide which of the two. This is definitely progress, however - we do know that we will purchase one of the two sets! The first set I think is far more interesting in terms of wood texture and design, but the second set is a little less expensive and simpler (which a boy might prefer). I'll post the pictures here for any comments/feedback - but note that the pictures do not necessarily reflect the pieces we are considering:




We also finalized which car seat we intend to purchase, we think we may have decided on a stroller as well, and we narrowed down our bedding options and glider options. Here are the 2 different beddings we are considering:



You would think with these big decisions out of the way, I would relax a bit, right? Of course not! I then felt the need to point out the baby's room is only ONE room in the house, and we still need to deal with replacing the dining room table DH broke (long story short, he thought ironing on the glass table was a good idea - until he left the iron face down on the table and walked away without turning it off - naturally, the glass top splintered, and we do not currently have a functional dining room table), and we need new couches for the living room and the basement rec room. So, DH humored me, and today was furniture shopping day. We checked out 2 different stores (and we will be hitting another one tomorrow) and I think we have it narrowed down to 2 different couches. We need to figure out exactly which pieces will fit in the living room, and the best shape for the basement rec room, but we think we are all set in our selections. We also found a new glass table top that we can purchase to replace the broken one.

Not bad for a weekend, right? I am hoping to order the couches this week, and then I'll focus on accessories (we'll need a new coffee table, a plant stand, perhaps a filing cabinet and some storage shelves, and I'd like to get a storage bench with a cushion to serve as a window seat in a few of the house's alcove areas). So . . . I'd say we are making progress! If we can just get them to install the toilets and finish the cabinets and lighting, we could actually start the process of moving!

2 comments:

Mandy @ The Lucky 7 said...

OK, I love the second crib choice with the 1st bedding choice. I think the 1st crib option would be beautiful for a little girl, it's soft and could be accented with soft, frilly things :) but I agree that the second is a little more "masculine" and could take on many looks depending on how you decorate.

mcweix said...

I myself love the second bedroom set and the second bedding. I think the darker greens will really be brought to life by the dark wood. You'll feel so much more put together when you get all the furnature in place and be down to one residence!