Friday, February 6, 2009

What a week!

Thought I'd start off with a forgotten picture from our Florida trip . . . when he does this I keep thinking someone has just shouted "stick 'em up" or "you're under arrest!"

This has been a crazy week so far - a really good week, but definitely crazy. On Monday I went to my 6 week checkup. All is going well - I've healed nicely, but it seems I have a yeast infection on my nipples. I was given a prescription for "Newman's Nipple Cream" to try and fix everything. Right after my appointment, I went to my first Baby & Me class! There were about 10 women in the class, and I think it seems like a really good group. We all just sat around to talk, then we went out to Panera afterwards to grab some lunch. It was nice for me to get out and about and feel like me again.

On Tuesday, I was worried that Micah might also have thrush since I had an infection, so I took him to the doctor. Turns out, he was just fine. We did get to weigh him again . . . and he weighed a whopping 8 lbs 10 ounces!!!! I talked to the doctor about whether Micah has reflux, and he thought it was a definite possibility. He gave us some different formula (which I didn't think would matter since we hardly ever give him formula). We decided to table the discussion on Zantac because Micah had not been crying from the reflux. Naturally, we left the doctor's office, and when we got home, Micah began to cry. And pretty much shrieked for over 8 hours. Nothing made him feel better. He was hiccuping, making choking and wheezing sounds, crying when he spit up . . . I was sure it was the reflux. I tried calling the doctor about 3 hours in, and he had left for the day. The other pediatrician wouldn't prescribe Zantac since Micah was not her patient (seriously?) and when I pushed about what to do, she first told me to let him cry until the next day. I pushed some more, and she suggested children's Maalox. I sent my Dad out to get it . . . only to learn that children's Maalox only comes in pill form. I called the doctor back, and she said "Oops, I meant Mylanta." I then sent DH out to look for Mylanta . . . and again, we learned it is not available in liquid. At 8:00 pm, I called the after-hours number . . . and got the same rotten doctor!! She finally gave in, and after giving me some attitude, she called in the Zantac. All I can say is it made a HUGE difference. Micah is doing really well on it!

On Wednesday, Micah was feeling so great that we went out ALL day. We went to the baby store to get gifts for a friend of mine who just had a baby (Micah, too), and then off to Target. After the errands, I went to the breastfeeding support group. Following the support group, two of us then went out for coffee. In the middle of all this, I got a call that one of my friends (whose grandmother had just died) was having shiva that night. For those of you who do not know, Shiva is a Jewish custom to support the family members of a person who has recently died. Everyone goes to the house, brings food, and is there for a short prayer ceremony that enables them to mourn. The custom is designed to ensure that those in mourning do not have to mourn alone. Anyway, DH & I decided to go there, so I took Micah to my parents' house on our way there. We made it home about 10:00 pm - I was out with Micah for 12 hours!!

Thursday was another adventure! I woke up in the morning and took Micah back to Target because I had mistakenly bought the wrong bottle. We then went to pick up DH, and we went to the bris for my friend's baby Micah. We spent the afternoon there, then came home. DH & I decided we were long overdue for a date night, so my parents' came over to babysit. We went out for a few hours to see a one-man comedy show at the local theatre. It was a lot of fun, and so nice to get out just the two of us.

Micah has been so much more alert and awake this week. We've had time to play on the playmat (actually, both my babies were playing together):




and run some errands, too! I can't believe how big Micah is getting. He is having some cranky periods now (very new for me) and he has some fussiness and hours when all he wants is for mommy to hold him. We're working on getting the hang of the new routine.

No comments: