Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

For the past few weeks, Micah has been doing this...thing...with his hands, and I haven't been able to figure out what it means. It sort of looks like a clap or like he is wiping his hands - he takes one hand and smacks it down on top of the other hand, then alternates. I felt certain he was trying to tell me something, but I had no clue WHAT. At meal time, I've been working with him to figure out what it means. In the process, I've learned that Micah knows the sign for "more" and for "all done." He has added a few other spoken words recently - he is regularly saying "bye bye" and "hi" and "mama" and "dad" and "ball" and "bubble" and he definitely has a word for dog and can say "nuh nuh" for the dog's name. He even said "Big Bird" today (and yes, I'm surprised it wasn't "Elmo").

Well, tonight we were having shiva at my parents' house. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Jewish traditions, shiva is a 7 day period of mourning following the death of a family member. During shiva, all the mirrors are supposed to be covered, and the mourning family members wear a torn piece of black cloth to represent their loss. Friends supply food so the family does not have to worry about food, and people come over to comfort the family and say prayers. There is one prayer, the Mourner's Kadish, that can only be said if at least 10 people are present. The point is that those in mourning should never have to mourn alone.

My family's version of shiva is a bit more relaxed. Micah was there, and having a lot of fun showing off for everyone. He was quite chatty during the brief services, and once again, he brought some joy to a sad occasion. As my Dad was sitting with Micah, he started singing to him - the "Itsy Bitsy Spider." All of the sudden, Micah started to do the hand motions, starting with the hand slapping he has been doing for a few weeks. He put his arms up in the air for up came the sun, and he had motions for drying up the rain. My heart MELTED!! I can't believe my little boy does the "Itsy Bitsy Spider!!"

I think I'd like to close this blog with my favorite memorial prayer - I think it truly speaks to how I feel about those we lose:

At the rising of the sun and at its going down We remember them.
At the blowing of the wind and the chill of winter We remember them.
At the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring We remember them.
At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer We remember them.
At the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of autumn We remember them.
At the beginning of the year and when it ends We remember them.
As long as we live, they too will live; for they are now a part of us, as we remember them.
When we are weary and in need of strength We remember them.
When we are lost and sick at heart We remember them.
When we have joy we crave to share We remember them.
When we have decisions that are difficult to make We remember them.
When we have achievements that are based on theirs We remember them.
As long as we live, they too will live; for they are now a part of us, as we remember them.

No comments: