Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Walking!!

I can't believe it - Micah is finally walking! He has been so close for so long, and we've seen him take a single step here and there for a couple of months now, but no real progress. Since his birthday, he has started standing up just from the floor without any assistance or holding on to any furniture. The past week or so, he has gotten so strong that he could bend over, pick up a toy, stand back up again, and stand and shake or play with the toy. I've known he has been so close, but I just wasn't sure he would really get there.

Today, we were home with him all day (except for class). He kept getting this look like he was about to take a step, but at the last minute, he'd sit down. In the evening, we spent some time "walking" together and Micah would just hold my one hand. And then I started to encourage him. I got him standing on his own in the middle of the floor, and I stood just out of reach, holding something he wanted. He would lean and try and grab it, and after a bunch of different attempts, he took 3 steps and then grabbed me. I was able to get him to repeat this 3 or 4 times, and then he did it a few times on his own without prompting. I just can't believe it!

No comments: