Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The ants are marching...again

Once again, the week has just flown by! I originally planned on posting again last Wednesday night, but seem to have gotten waylaid by life. So, today's post will be a nice "catch you up" post again.

Let's start with last Wednesday night...when I discovered ants. Yes, ants. Everywhere in Micah's bedroom. It was disgusting! They were swarming on the floor near his crib, and around the ottoman, and they even made it all the way up to Micah's changing table. We took out the organic ant spray (made from mint oil) and we sprayed everything down. I was creeped out by the thought of Micah sleeping in a room with all those ants, but I hoped the spray would keep them at bay. I came downstairs after we put Micah to bed to do a complete survey of the house to search for more ants. I was relieved to see that there were no ants in any of the trouble spots from last year...however, the ants were swarming in the living room corner where we keep most of Micah's toys. We took out the mint oil spray and gave the region a bath.

Thursday morning, we called the exterminator bright and early. Lucky for us, he was able to come see us later that day. Micah and I left for class at noon and stayed away for a few hours while he set out to conquer our ants. He managed to treat the problem outside, and told us we should expect the problem to dissipate quickly.

Thursday night was date night. My mom arrived around 5:30, and DH and I decided we needed another practical errand-running night. We decided to go check out the Mazda car dealership to test drive the Mazda 5 and the CX9. I have to say, we really liked the CX9. It is loaded with features, very comfortable, and a smooth ride. Our only concerns, however, were the mileage (it has the lowest mpg of any 3 row SUV we have test driven so far), and like the other 3 row SUVs, we would not be able to access the third row with two car seats installed. Mazda also does not offer any decent lease deals on the CX9, so leasing the vehicle is expensive (although it is priced well for purchasing). We just do not think we want to commit to buying the CX9 with such low gas mileage - we feel confident there will be better options over the next few years, and do not want to be locked into this car long-term. We also test drove the Mazda 5. It is an interesting vehicle - it looks more like a mini minivan (kind of a cross between a minivan and a station wagon). Because the middle row only has two captains chairs (and a sliding door entry), there is access to the two rear seats even with two car seats. The gas mileage is great, but the car is fairly stripped down - no electric seats or any of the amenities I am looking for in a vehicle. The price was really good, so DH and I did discuss if it made sense to replace his Prius with the Mazda 5. For now, we think we are going to hold off on doing that, but we definitely think the Mazda 5 is an interesting option for a family vehicle.

After our car adventures, DH and I had a quick dinner at a nearby restaurant. Nothing fancy, but they do have a great salad bar there. We were home by 10:30. I did a quick canvas for ants, and I mostly only saw dead ants (eww!). I cleaned up the carnage, but I was relieved that the exterminator managed to tackle our problem.

Friday was a busy work day for me. I think the day passed before I even had a chance to blink! DH picked Micah up from daycare around 5:30. We quickly fed him dinner and the two of them went off to services. They got home around 7:30 pm...just in time for us to give Micah his bath and put him to bed. After our long week, DH and I were exhausted, so we had a wild evening...we curled up on the couch to watch tv, and fell asleep ridiculously early!

I woke up early Saturday morning and had to scoot out early to help run a training session. DH kept Micah occupied for the day while I worked. I got home around 2:30 or so, and Micah was asleep. When he woke up after a nice LONG nap, we played together. The weather was so beautiful that when DH suggested that we all take a quick bike ride around the block, I instantly agreed! DH bought me a new bike for my birthday last summer. The original bike he purchased was a little too tall for me, so we ended up ordering a different bike. We did not pick that up until late October/early November. Since I had just found out I was pregnant and we were uncertain if the pregnancy was going to hold, I never got a chance to ride my new bike before the bad weather hit. So, around 4:30 pm, DH hooked the bike trailer up to his bike, we loaded Micah inside, and the three of us took off for a bit of an adventure.

I should have known that DH and I would not think of a "quick ride around the block" the same way. I expected to head over to the local bike path and do a quick loop and come back. DH thought we should head downtown and bike past the stores. I followed his lead...we went down the street, through the park, down by the restaurants and back out to the main road. I expected us to head up the road and back towards home, but DH had other plans in mind. We kept going...and going...and going. A number of times I reminded him that I was pregnant and not in the best of shape and suggested we should head back home. But, DH said it was just a short trip and we should keep going. We ended up biking over a mile to the Barnes and Noble, and we sat outside for a bit to catch our breath (okay, so I could catch my breath). We then started the long trek back home...uphill. I can only say that I definitely overdid it. By the time I got home, the contractions were going crazy. I know it was only a 2 or 2 1/2 mile bike ride, but that might not have been the smartest thing at 27 weeks pregnant when dealing with pre-term contractions.

I drank lots of water, lay down, and started popping the Indocin to control the contractions. I felt a little better after an hour or two, but the contractions continued strongly all night. DH decided to run to the store while I put Micah to bed - there was a huge sale at Toys R Us on Pampers (for every 2 packages we purchased, we got a $20 gift card, plus DH had $5 off coupons for each box of Pampers). I think DH might have bought out the store - he brought home 6 jumbo packages of diapers!! I crashed pretty early because I was so exhausted and uncomfortable.

I had no idea when I woke up on Sunday that it would be a completely packed day. My morning started off when Micah woke up at his usual time. I made him a yummy breakfast of pumpkin pancakes, and we spent some time playing and watching Sesame Street. My contractions were still going pretty strong, so I popped some more Indocin and tried to drink a lot of water. I got a call from my friend, and we decided we would meet and catch up a bit. I put Micah down for his nap around 11:45, and my friend showed up at noon. We decided to walk downtown for lunch. The weather was gorgeous, and we went to an organic salad place for lunch. We chatted, we caught up, and then we picked up a half dozen cupcakes to bring home. Yummy! I picked up a cookies and cream cupcake, and chocolate peanut butter and a triple chocolate cupcake. My friend got a chocolate peanut butter, a red velvet, and a cookies and cream cupcake. Unfortunately, the cupcakes melted a bit on the walk home. Once again, my contractions started to kick it into high gear - perhaps a 2+ mile walk on the heels of my bike ride was a bad idea?

Micah did not wake up until a little after I got home. He played and flirted with my friend a bit before she left, and we waited for our friends to arrive for our play date! They showed up around 5:00, and we walked over to the neighborhood park. The boys played on the swings and the slide and had a fantastic time. Micah was so funny - he loved the swings, he enjoyed eating some sticks and dirt, and then he figured out how the slide worked. I was so amazed by my little boy - he figured out how to climb the stairs, run over to the slide (where Daddy was waiting to reposition him to safely go down the slide on his belly) and I would catch him at the bottom (this slide is a "big kids" slide that ends a few feet above the ground - Micah was like a little torpedo hurtling down that slide!). What amazed me was that after the first time or two of trying to climb back up the slide, Micah knew to run around to the back of the jungle gym and climb the stairs to slide down again. Unfortunately, Micah was having so much fun that he threw a tempertantrum when we told him it was time to leave and bundled him back up into the stroller.

We got home in time for dinner and a little more playtime with our friends. Shortly thereafter, we got Micah ready for bed. I think DH and I crashed on the couch early again. My contractions were pretty intense, so I tried to relax, hydrate, and take more medication.

Monday morning, we were back to the grind. Micah went to daycare bright and early (and tried to carry his own lunch bag to school):

I had a full day of work (and attempted bedrest) ahead of me while I tried to get the contractions back under control. My home health nurse arrived in the afternoon to give me another shot. I really hate these shots, and my butt just hurts!! I wish I knew if they were helping at all. I then had to go see my cardiologist for my annual appointment. I got home in time to put in a few more hours of work before Micah came home.

I have to say, Micah has just been absolutely adorable lately. I mean, that kid is cute all the time, but sometimes he is just so beyond adorable I don't even know what to say! Lately, after bath time when I comb out his hair, Micah has been stealing the comb from he can comb my hair! He sits and laughs and smiles while he combs my hair, and I love it! He has also adopted a new phrase..."Uh oh." Micah LOVES to say "uh oh" now, and it just makes me laugh.

Tuesday was another good day. We woke up at our usual time, then quickly headed off to our music class. Micah seemed a bit out of sorts - a tad on the tired and shy side, and he really did not feel like participating in class (except for the bubbles segment). Micah loves to chase the bubbles and pop them (and he says "bubbles" over and over again). Right after class, we loaded into the car and headed north to visit my SIL and Micah's two cousins. It took us about an hour to get up there, and we decided to meet them at the Olive Garden. The kids were great. They ate bread sticks, we ordered the three kids pizza and chicken fingers to share, and we munched on soup and salad. Micah was not much in the mood to eat. He had a piece or two of pizza and a bit of chicken and a few beans from my soup. He mostly just threw the food on the floor. After lunch, we went back to their house. The kids played together in a toy house, and they played with bubbles (well, Micah mostly spilled the bubbles while he tried to make bubbles). We finally dragged them inside, and they spent the day playing together. Unfortunately, his older cousin was not happy with Micah's idea of sharing. She kept building a stack of blocks and he would knock them over, much to her annoyance. His younger cousin, on the other hand, enjoyed stacking the blocks for Micah to knock over. The kids ate snack food together, and around 3:30 we hopped in the car to head home.

DH gave me a bit of a break in the evening while he fed Micah dinner. We played for a while longer after dinner and before bed. Once again, Micah went to sleep quickly and easily. We, of course, fell asleep on the couch again.

Micah woke up right on time again this morning. We gave him some breakfast, got him dressed, and went to meet his daycare class for his first field trip! Now that they are older, they will be going on a field trip once each month. The first field trip was to a creative playspace. I've been meaning to take Micah there for quite some time, but this was our first trip. It was actually a wonderful experience! It is a series of rooms with all interactive activities. There is a fire truck and a pickup truck for the kids to drive, and a grocery store complete with carts, fake food and a cash register, a dress up room, a beauty parlor, a sandbox area, an ice cream shop, an animal room (with birds and bunnies the kids can touch!) and so much more. Micah was not so sure about the bunnies - he seemed intrigued and even tried to touch them a few times, but he was kind of shy. It amazes me...he goes NUT for every kind of dog, regardless of size, but cute little bunnies make him a bit nervous? He seemed to smile at how soft they were, but he just did not know exactly what to make of them. There are a also a number of rooms with activities, baking activities, cupcake decorating, etc. Micah decorated a tree today, and then they went into the back "music stage" room for a story hour.

Well, Micah fell in love in the music room, and he became my little "rock star." First, Micah saw a guitar. He walked over to the guitar, picked it up, and tried to play. Then, he noticed the strap and put the guitar around his neck. I think, if I had allowed it, he would STILL have the guitar around his body! He spent the next half an hour playing the guitar, and the drum set, and the piano. My little man is definitely a musician...and he has rock star hair to boot! We are definitely going to have to buy him a guitar. After several hours of fun (and a handful of tears because mommy ripped him away from his music stage and guitar), Micah headed off to daycare with his class and I came home to get some work finished. It was actually a fun morning, and I loved seeing Micah on a field trip. I have a feeling we'll return there again. DH and I were terrible parents and forgot to bring the camera. A few of the other parents took some photos - hopefully, they'll send us copies soon and we can post them for you to see our little rock star!

Tonight, I took some video of Micah eating dinner. I always swore I would never post anything that included any hint of my awful singing voice, but I just had to show you how cute Micah is. He started to sign the Itsy Bitsy Spider tonight, so I quickly grabbed the camera and tried to tape him. Naturally, he started to smile for the camera and got a bit shy. But, he did a few of the signs, and he signed more, and then he finished off the video by saying "bye bye!"

In other news, Micah has also been a bit obsessed with books lately, which is a wonderful new development. He keeps bringing me books to read to him - particularly the ladybug book, and his all-time favorite, Dr. Seuss' The Foot Book. I think I've read that book to him over a thousand times now, and I am certain I have it memorized. But, I love that HE loves the book and wants me to read to him. He has started pointing at things in the book, and I like that he picks out the books he wants to hear and comes over to me and climbs into my lap. How sweet is that?

Micah has been fixated on a few new toys (thanks to his Aunt and cousins for the hand-me-downs). He has one of those popper "lawnmowers" and he loves to push it all over the place. He also has a new cash register that he finally knows how to work. It is actually a fairly complicated toy. There are three different colored coins (yellow, orange and red), each marked a different denomination. The coins must be inserted into the corresponding color slots at the top of the register, and you have to pull the lever to drop the coins down. Then, you have to push a second lever to either send the engaged coins out the side of the register as change or into the drawer for a sale. If you want to open the drawer, you have to turn the handle on the side. Micah has consistently figured out how to insert the red coins and he knows how to push the sale and change levers. He still can get a bit frustrated when the yellow and orange coins do not fit into the red slot, but I think he'll master the process in another few days.

We finally have weaned Micah from his bottles...and from the Zantac! He is now officially Zantac-free, and he seems to be handling it just fine. Tonight I managed to videotape Micah doing the motions to the Itsy Bitsy Spider (well, some of them...after doing 3 renditions before I turned on the video, he suddenly became more interested in eating dinner and smiling for the camera, but he did finish off the recording by saying "bye bye!").

By the way, did any of you watch the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution special? It was pretty horrifying to see what all these people were eating there, and even worse to see how resistant they were to serving good food to the children. It got me questioning whether I'm serving Micah enough good foods. Micah gets a good assortment of healthy and organic fruits and vegetables. We try to only give him whole grain breads, but we do serve him some processed foods (crackers, luncheon meats, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, soy nuggets, veggie burgers). We do give him fresh-made food most of the time (and I make his hamburgers and turkey burgers from organic meats and veggies). I should be better about cooking full dinners - making more meals from chicken or beef, or even making and freezing my own chicken nuggets from scratch, or the fish sticks. I guess I am going to try and get motivated to make more good food for Micah - and try to only use frozen food that I make from scratch instead of the occasional pre-packaged (albeit organic) foods.

One last note...I'm officially in the third trimester! I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is flying. I'm now 27 weeks pregnant, and hoping this last trimester goes well for us. I have to go get my gestational diabetes test done on Friday (I'm SOOO not looking forward to that). I also have another progesterone shot on Monday, an OB appointment next week, and a cervical length check and growth scan. Not to mention that it is Passover next week, so we have family coming in to celebrate. I'm still dealing with contractions and nausea, but hoping that we get good news at our next scan. Twoey is definitely getting bigger and stronger - she has been kicking and bouncing and rolling all over the place. I got a few belly shots this week - unfortunately, they are pretty dark.

1 comment:

Chele said...

Too cute! Micah is at such a fun age. You really don't look 27 weeks along. ++++ vibes those contractions stay away.

I'm also impressed with the TRU diaper/gift card deal! That's awesome!